Let’s talk about AGING. I know, yuck. But, it’s happening folks… and that’s something we can’t change. However, how we age and how fast we start showing it – we can change!
Is it just me or does it seem everywhere we look these days – a new product, some miracle ingredient or serum is being praised and coveted for its anti aging benefits? Raise your hand if you get so confused knowing which ones are really necessary and which ones are actually the RIGHT ones for you?! Well, unfortunately I can’t see a show of hands… BUT if you’re like me, I imagine you’re a little torn and overwhelmed over ALL the products on the market.
Which ones actually work?
Which ones are worth investing in?
We don’t all have the same skin type – which are the right products specific to mine?
There’s about a million of them that promise the same thing – to instantly deliver younger and more youthful looking skin… (here’s a Solution Tool that can also match you with the perfect products specifically for YOUR skin concerns!)
Maybe you’re in your 20’s or 30’s and you’re noticing the first wrinkle or two. Maybe you’ve been paying more attention to folks a bit older than you and either amazed at how young they still look and wanting to know their secret OR perhaps you’re noticing a woman who appears to be in her 40’s and has spent the past couple of decades basking in the sun lathered up with baby oil and in return she looks a couple decades older than she is. Then you find out you’re the same age… *cringe*
Thanks to the advances in the dermatology world… it is possible to correct sun damage, discoloration, and all of the aspects that contribute to our skin aging. However, it is much more difficult to correct than to PREVENT & protect before the years catch up with us!
Want to know the most important time to start preventing & protecting? *Drumroll*… your TWENTIES & THIRTIES!
Collagen & Elastin
Together, collagen and elastin keep connective tissue firm and help it to hold its shape. As your skin loses collagen, it loses elasticity and, on average, we lose about 1% of our collagen every year after the age of 20! Total BS, right?!
There are a few things we can actively do to stay young for a little bit longer. Every day we get a little bit older and that means our cells lose their youth too. But there is evidence out there, that biological aging can be slowed down or at some point even be reversed.
I’ve broken it down to the most important things we can do to slow down the aging process and correct any damage that’s already been done!
1. WASH THAT FACE, girl. EVERY night. Drunk, tired… do it! No excuses. Throughout the day the skin on your face is continually covered with bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, and old (dead) skin cells. Daily facial washing removes these impurities. Without washing, your skin would be covered with a thick layer of dirt and grime which make it difficult for other products to penetrate the skin properly.
2. TONER. Many people are still unaware of what toner really is — and many people still have misconceptions as to its true purpose. Applying toner after washing your face shrinks pores, restores your skin’s pH balance, adds a layer of protection and close pores and tighten cell gaps after cleansing, reducing the penetration of impurities and environmental contaminants into the skin, help with moisture.
If you want to talk science, a toner is a fast-penetrating liquid that delivers skin a quick hit of hydration and helps remove some dead cells off the surface of the skin. The result: plump, glowy skin. On a makeup-related note, toner is like a primer for the rest of your skin-care routine like serums and moisturizer.
3. MOISTURIZE! Wrinkles or dehydrated skin? Your skin is craving moisture. This has been the #1 thing that well, a.) I thought was crap because I have oily skin and the last thing I needed was added hydration and b.) had such trouble finding the right one that wasn’t to heavy or made me extra oily. No thank you. Wrong. Dehydrated skin is the number one factor that will instantly age your skin and add to that dull, dry, and uneven complexion.
4. EXFOLIATE – don’t wait to exfoliate! Exfoliation is the removal of dry/dead skin cells on the surface of the skin and is one of the most important aspects of your home skincare routine. It also increases blood circulation, which in turn helps you to achieve healthy and glowing skin.
5. SPF, SPF, S P F…You most likely already know that consistently using sunscreen can help prevent premature wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (dark spots), and skin cancer. But a small 2016 study found that daily use of broad-spectrum sun protection may also visibly reverse existing sun damage, including rough texture lack of clarity, and hyperpigmentation. So, if you want to preserve (and maybe even improve) your beautiful self, use a sunscreenr moisturizer with SPF 30—no excuses—every day. Any questions?
…SO NOW THAT WE KNOW the basics when it comes to caring for your skin: cleanse, tone, moisturize, apply sunscreen… I have to let you in on one is my most favorite anti aging discoveries of ALL discoveries. VITAMIN A!
Amid so many possibilities (and products) to help your skin look its best, though, there are a few nutrients that skin really needs – vitamin A is one of them. What does it do and why is it so important? IT ENCOURAGES HEALTHY SKIN CELL PRODUCTION 🙌🏼 Retinal, retinol and retinoic acid are important to cell production and growth. Vitamin A also stimulates fibroblasts – the cells responsible for developing tissue that keeps skin firm and healthy – in the deep layers of your skin. Because vitamin A and carotenoids play such a big role in cell and tissue growth, not getting enough can lead to weakened skin, causing problems ranging from dryness to wounds that heal more slowly.
We keep hearing about this thing called micro-needling, right? It seems like every beauty magazine, article, editors, blogger, and bloggers are RAVING about it. So, what exactly is it? Some choose to shell out a lot of money with procedures at the dermatologists office, HOWEVER… in 2018 and all of it’s beauty – there is a nifty little beauty tool that can deliver those very same insane results in the comfort of your own home without even having to put pants on.
Count me in!
Oprah magazine has deemed the AmpMD system by Rodan & Fields the gold standard and THE best spent minute in the world of anti aging. The AmpMD system consists of a derma roller with over 200 tiny little needles that actually pierces the top layer of the dermis followed by the RetinalMD Intensive Renewing Serum – which is the most powerful form of Vitamin A you can get your hands on without a prescription. So many of the products we’re using simply sit on the surface of our skin without going any deeper and that’s why we don’t really notice those dramatic results these products promise to deliver.
If you only have ONE anti-aging product in your medicine cabinet, this would be it. This form of Vitamin A is powerful enough to increase cell turnover, boost elastin & collagen production, but also gentle enough for everyday use.
After following these skincare tips for a little over 6 months, I can’t believe the transformation my skin has undergone! I want to shout it from the rooftops, but for now I’ll start by sharing them with you! Below are a couple of my must have go to’s and products I absolutely swear by! (Click on image to purchase or read more info!)
Redefine Regimen by Rodan + Fields
Active Hydration Serum.
This is great for ALL skin types (yes, oily too!) It increases your skin’s hydration by 200% in your first use and actually helps balance oily skin and gives you that supermodel GlOW!
It’s a sugar/salt scrub that removes the top layer of dead skin cells and leaves your face feeling like silk!
Microderm Roller with RetinalMD (Vitamin A) Can you say GAME CHANGER?!
Well, there you have it ladies & gents… class dismissed!